Friday, February 29, 2008

6-Introducing Soon to be Superstars

Sasha, Liz, meet the blog fans.

Blog fans, say hello to Sasha and Liz.

And say hello to each other Sasha and Liz--you're sort of sisters now.

Sasha and Liz are two Weight Watchers members who have volunteered to be my guinea pigs for the coming year. Obviously two people do not a scientific sample make, so clearly this has nothing to do proving any theories. I just wanted to find some random people who would be willing to allow me a peek into their progress on the program for 12 months.

Liz is 27 year old rock goddess haling from the Golden Horseshoe. Liz's goal is to lose 24lbs on the program and she's been working at it since joining WW in October of 2007. This is the third time she's embarked on the program with her first attempt in 2003 and her second in 2005. While the the 2003 stint was very brief (six weeks) she spent almost a year on the program the second time but had to discontinue attending meetings for fiscal reasons (a very real issue with any paid weight loss program). This time, however, Liz's plan is to get to the point at which she's no longer paying and doesn't have to deal with that issue anymore. Liz is using the Flex (points) plan.

Sasha is a 25 year old mother of three little girls under the age of three--obviously a saint (grin). She has tried WW before but left the program due to a pregnancy. Her goal is to weigh 125lbs and she is presently at 177lbs. She started the program in the third of week of January and is using the Flex plan.

I'm looking very forward to bringing you updates of their experiences on the program every three months and I hope they enjoy the ride as much as I know we will.

1 comment:

CLK said...

I am LOVING your blog!

I would just like to note as an aside... (and as someone who probably used to fit the generalized term of 'slim' and who now more generally fits the term of 'BBW') ... I have a friend who is a size zero (yes they exist in real life, I never knew!) and she probably hates her under-weight body more than I hate my comfortably overweight one. And she doesn't hate it because she believes she is underweight, surprisingly, she thinks she is fat - she would not call herself a BBW. I have been slightly insulted being around her (how can you not be when someone 10 sizes less than you says they are fat?!?!), but at the same time I understand that we are ALL caught up in the obsession of not-being-good-enough that the entire makeup and weight loss industry needs us to all be a part of so they can make their millions.

I really liked your acknowledgement of the word 'skinny', b/c I believe that there is a fine, and often invisible, line between fat and skinny, with no slender in between (of course I am speaking from the person who is in the body - in everyone else's perception, there is probably a huge gap between the two, as you pointed out also exists between what a man thinks is a BBW).

There is a huge market for us to all believe that we need to lose 5 pounds, make our lips plumper, our breasts higher, our skin rosier (regardless of color), our hair unnaturally natural, our legs longer and slimmer, and our eyes and teeth brighter. I mention this because as I struggle with my own body-size issues, I can't help but look back and think: "gee I never needed to lose 5 lbs, my hair looked great and my breasts were perky! But now..." So how will I feel when I look back in another few years? Is all of this time I spend obsessing (which I dare admit is likely a bit of an obsession) about what I look like a waste, when I could be appreciating when I have now? Ultimately, I think it is. But I don't know how to stop. There are literally billions of dollars being spent to make me feel inadequate so I will buy product. And I do. I just forget to use them. Perhaps that is my problem.